Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Kiss Kringles: Cookies for The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2012


Just about every year since we've been married, the Dad and I have hosted a cookie exchange and cocktail hour for our friends during the holiday season. It usually happens sometime after Thanksgiving but before the December jollity really starts rolling. This year, between home improvements and holiday travel expenses, a big party was just not in the cards. I was still able to get my cookie exchange on through The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, though! In it's second year, The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap matches up bloggers with three fellow food blogging cookie lovers for a cookie swap of global proportions. And this year, they partnered with Cookies for Kids' Cancer to raise money for kids' cancer research so I knew I wanted to be on board. OXO® is matching all of the donations made by the cookie swappers to help make a big difference for this organization - thanks OXO®!

For my contribution, I decided to combine two of my favorite flavors - mint and chocolate - and make use of some seasonal candy that I know we all have lying around. I'm not going to lie to you - this is not one of my healthiest recipes. It's got sugar and it's got food coloring (from the candy canes) but for a once a year splurge, it's pretty modest. Anyway, I hope my cookie swap partners enjoyed them as much as the Kid and I enjoyed making (and eating) them!


Kiss Kringles
makes 4 to 5 dozen
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup candy cane powder (see this post to learn more)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 3/4 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
powdered sugar
4 to 5 dozen unwrapped chocolate Kisses

In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. When it's light and fluffy, add the candy cane powder and the eggs, scraping down the sides of the bowl and mixing well to combine. Add the baking powder and salt along with the whole wheat pastry flour and mix for about 30 seconds to 1 minute before scraping down the sides of the bowl again. Then begin slowly adding your all-purpose flour. With the mixer running, add flour until the dough reaches a stiff but not dry consistency. How much flour you add will depend on the size of your eggs and the humidity of the day so just keep an eye on the dough, stopping the mixer once in awhile to check the consistency.
Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes before proceeding to the next step.
After the dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and prepare a cookie sheet with a layer of parchment paper. Roll dough into 1 inch or smaller balls, then roll in powdered sugar. Bake for about 9 minutes.
Remove cookies from oven and press one Kiss into each while they are still warm. You could also use some other seasonal candy like these Peppermint Crunch Junior Mints I found.
Allow the cookies to cool entirely before packaging if you're giving them away. Or you can eat them while they are warm and the chocolate is all melty - yum!
And so to Eat*Drink*Cleveland, Cook The Story, La Aguacate, and all of you, the Kid and I wish you a very merry holiday season!
And thanks to Lauren of KeepItSweetDesserts.com for the tasty Salted Brown Butter M&M cookies and to Felice of Blogchickabowow.com for the amazing Rosemary Lemon Shortbread cookies!

1 comments:

Annakate said...

hey there! Annakate from La Aguacate here - I loved your cookies! So sorry for the late response - I got the cookies as I was heading to the airport and by the time I got back from my trip I'd misplaced the card somehow so couldn't thank you properly. My husband I gobbled them up RAPIDLY. Thanks again!!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.