Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Cooking Up a Party: Cirque du Bebe Birthday

Last week, I told you a little about the Kid's first birthday luau so I thought this week I'd tell about how we celebrated his first birthday with his first play group! The day after our family and friends party at our house, we invited 20 or so of our play group friends to join us at our local baby gym for more food and fun. And being one not to miss out on an opportunity to create a party theme, I took a look at one of my favorite printable party stores, paper & CAKE, and picked out their French Circus themed printable party for our playgroup birthday play date.
French Circus party by paper &CAKE
image used by permission, copyright paper & CAKE
For decorations around the food table, I printed and cut out the animal silhouettes but the idea I am most proud of is what I came up with for party favors. Abigail, the designer behind paper & CAKE, graciously allowed me to use JPEGs of the circle animal motifs on edible fondant applied to sugar cookies - a tasty and tasteful favor, if I do say so myself.

 Then I packaged them in little cello bags and topped them with a coordinating bag topper. Now, I wish I could take credit for actually making the cookies but I can't. For the actual manufacture of these tasty favors, I looked to the good bakers at Gumdrop Cookie Shop in Brooklyn, NY.

Then I made custom party favor bags for all the kiddos, using the circle motifs from the French Circus printable party, colored card stock and scrapbook paper in pretty patterns. Inside each bag, we put a beach ball, a cookie and a bottle of bubbles.

And since the guest of honor can't be without a wardrobe to match his party, I found this adorable Lion Ringmaster shirt on Etsy. The store, Lil Cubby, even custom-made this adorable party hat to match.

Of course, the Kid only wore that for a few seconds - not even long enough to snap a photo. But it looks super cute in this shadow box/shelf thingy - it's destined to be hung in his playroom...someday. Unfortunately, when I went back to Etsy to find a link to the store for this blog, they were no longer in business. But I guess that's how it goes with handmade stuff - you've got to grab it while you can!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.